Nick R on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:08:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO

Whoah, before the flow of flames come in, I didn't say that they had sold out. I'm very happy w/ what they've done for the community. I said that they have potential if they can continue to resist the temptation to sell out.

From: "Jason S." <jason@survivalnet.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Nick R wrote:
> trying to make money quick & selling. I'm keeping it for the long haul
> personally. They could seriously go places if they can balance the desire to
> sell out against the desire to give back to the community and support Open
> Source.

How exactly has redhat sold out? By trying to be competitive. Sorry.
Thats how capitalism works. Did they create some neat piece of software
and not release to code? Did they come up with some nice way of
installing linux that would make it more accessible then refuse to allow
others to make use of it? Red Hat has done some good, actually a fair
amount of it. They actually PAY people to develop OSS that other distros
make use of. This is a good thing. If you disagree with choices vendors
have made as to which distribution they support.... well, thats not
redhats fault. Thier desire is to remain competitive and succeed. Its
not any different than any other businesses.

For better or worse they need to be able to compete with other companys
in the ugly world of economics. So far I havent seen this affect their
commitment to the OSS philosophy that's let the succeed.