Robert Suchowierski on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] SDSL from @work.net

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jkristof/xdsl-faq.txt

ADSL
  Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) is the most popular
form of
  xDSL technology.  The key to ADSL is that the upstream and
downstream
  bandwidth is asymmetric, or uneven.  In practice, the bandwidth
from
  the provider to the user (downstream) will be the higher speed
path.
  This is in part due to the limitation of the telephone cabling
system
  and the desire to accommodate the typical Internet usage
pattern where
  the majority of data is being sent to the user (programs,
graphics,
  sounds and video) with minimal upload capacity required
(keystrokes and
  mouse clicks).  Downstream speeds typically range from 1.5Mbps
to 9Mbps.
  Upstream speeds typically range from 64Kbps to 1.5Mbps.

SDSL
  Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line (SDSL) is a 2-wire
implementation of
  HDSL.  Supports T1/E1 on a single pair to a distance of 11,000
ft.  The
  name has become more generic over time to refer to symmetric
service at
  a variety of rates over a single loop.

Depending on the distance, various forms of DSL service can be
employed.  For example, to get the 7.1M connection from bell, you
need to be within 3000 feet or so of the central office, the 1.6m
connection requires 6000 feet or so and the 640kps within 12000
feet of the co.  This is because the rest of the equipment (pop,
modem banks switches, etc) is located at the CO.  The SDSL
service has the same distance requirements, the further away from
the POP the less the speed because of signal degradation.

In order to get any DSL service, you need to use the existing
bell copper (that is of course if there is no alternative in your
area)  In order to use the bell copper to install a dsl circuit,
you need to have a "clean" line from your location to the bell co
no matter what, so if bell could not provide the service because
of distance limitations, I doubt if anyone else could provide the
service.

As an aside, I just talked to @work and they confirmed that if
bell is unable to provide service because of a distance
limitation, they can not provide service.