Robert Suchowierski on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:01:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] SDSL from @voicenet.com

You would be right.  ISP's have been signing up people for xdsl service before
bell has the infrastructure in place to provide such service.  Bell needs to get
a clean channel from your location back to their CO.  This entails removing
anything that can cause interference from the existing copper.  Suprise, they
are in no hurry to do that.  Even if you are within the required distances from
the CO, it may be possible that you can not receive the xdsl because the line
quality is crummy.

This faq is pretty helpful in explaining most of the problems...

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jkristof/xdsl-faq.txt