John Nolan on Sun, 8 Aug 1999 19:33:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] defragmenter for Wind 98

> FIPS requires that the data all be at the beginning of the partition,
> so when it truncates the end nothing gets clobbered. But Wind98's
> defrag utility puts data at both ends during the optimization
> process.

During the optimization process, yes, but not when it's finished.
The Win98 defrag util will push everything to the start,
unless there is something special about your system.
The FIPS docs describe some of these special circumstances.

> DOS defrag, but can deal with my FAT32 partition. Any recommendations?

FIPS does not work on FAT32 partitions at all.  :(

For that you have to use Partition Magic or something else.
I use Partition Magic and it's a splendid product, well
worth the investment.