Jason S. on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:22:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> systems (note the specific case), you're probably not going to be
> constantly using your modem.  When you're not using your modem, you can
> then use the resource provided by the extra CPU/memory for other tasks.
> The same argument can be applied to software 3D acceleration.
>
> I can't believe I just made this argument.

Take a look at the current state of 3D. Software accelleration wont
happen. There just isnt enough CPU. Its all about whats acceptable
performace to you. You could make the argument that if you dont use
a cd-rom much, then a 2 or 6x should be fine. The money you saved
could be used for something else. As long as you're aware of the
choice you're making and the trade off, I dont really have a problem.
My problem lies with the fact that the manufacturers of most winmodems
tend to obscure the fact that the hardware is dependant on software.
Thats _my_ biggest gripe. How many times have you seen someone wonder
why the modem they just 'got a great deal' on wont work?

If they'd known from the begining, it'd be different.