Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:08:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Jason S. wrote:

> Take a look at the current state of 3D. Software accelleration wont
> happen. There just isnt enough CPU. Its all about whats acceptable
> performace to you. You could make the argument that if you dont use
> a cd-rom much, then a 2 or 6x should be fine. The money you saved
> could be used for something else. As long as you're aware of the
> choice you're making and the trade off, I dont really have a problem.
> My problem lies with the fact that the manufacturers of most winmodems
> tend to obscure the fact that the hardware is dependant on software.
> Thats _my_ biggest gripe. How many times have you seen someone wonder
> why the modem they just 'got a great deal' on wont work?

Actually, modems and 3D graphics aren't a real good parallel.  To be
honest, though, how much of a performance hit DOES a Winmodem take by
going through the CPU?  And, given the operating speeds and cycle of a
modem, does it make that much of a difference.

Also, when you discuss this issue, you need to separate problems caused by
the hardware being controlled by the CPU and the software that's used to
do it.  In short, poorly written software/drivers, is just that; it
doesn't necessarily invalidate the technology (it would like saying cars
are a bad idea because someone with no driving instruction got into an
accident driving one).

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)