Nick R on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:30:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

Software modems tend to have more problems though. They end up being such a hassle that it just isn't worth it since it's only about $40. It reminds me of my MWave card. I don't know if any of you out there had one of those, but I had to have spent at least as much time in W95 trying to get the piece of crap to work as I did using it to access the Internet, play sound on video games, and just basically using it. It didn't like Win95 at all (actually, it was more of a mutual hate). Things like that sound like a good idea because they can be cheaper and all, but you end up running into major problems with sytems and programs that have been set up to use the standard interface and standard configurations that those devices generally have. You save yourself a few bucks, but it's not worth it in the long run. I realize that this is the opposite argument I Just made for software RAID, but the price difference is so great there that it makes it worth it, especially for budget opperations whereas almost anybody can pull together $40-$90.

Disclaimer: I got about 3 hrs of sleep last night, so I can't vouch for the sensicality of my statements or the intelligence they exhibit. Just figure that usually I'm about 4.8x as smart as that. Well, gotta go: "Yawn, I'm tired, let's go to class" -Kearney

From: Master and Servant <msimons@caip.rutgers.edu>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:49:03 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, this is what gets me...

[in stores]
I have seen Winmodems for as cheap as $9 after rebate..

Regularly good non-winmodems go for about $100, if not a bit more (okay,
so someone is going to argue with me that you can get such and such a
white-boxed modem via pricewatch for say, 55 or so bux (+5-10$ shipping))

So, if you take that extra 40-90$ and pump it into a better MB and/or
processor, izn't that worth it for the difference?

Call me a cheap bastard. 8)  But that is my argument for Linmodems. 8)

Actually my other theorization is this:

Linux Box <----Network----> Windows Box (FILLED with Winmodems bought for
9$) hooked to an equivalent # of lines either shotgunning to your feed, or
say, how about a bunch of different netzero accounts? ;)