Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:06:50 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Master and Servant wrote:

> So, if you take that extra 40-90$ and pump it into a better MB and/or
> processor, izn't that worth it for the difference?

Actually, you could argue that it (the Winmodem) is an even better value
because you're leveraging (ow, using that term hurt) your CPU and memory.
By spending the $40-90 on a non-Win modem, you are dedicating the resource
purchased to the modem.  On the other hand, if you spend the $40-90 on CPU
and/or memory, you're not dedicating it to any one use.  On desktop
systems (note the specific case), you're probably not going to be
constantly using your modem.  When you're not using your modem, you can
then use the resource provided by the extra CPU/memory for other tasks.
The same argument can be applied to software 3D acceleration.

I can't believe I just made this argument.

> Linux Box <----Network----> Windows Box (FILLED with Winmodems bought for
> 9$) hooked to an equivalent # of lines either shotgunning to your feed, or
> say, how about a bunch of different netzero accounts? ;)

I'm not sure this is actually desirable.  It would tend to pile up and
start giving diminishing returns.  Also, if it was a server type
situation, and your modems were going to be constantly active, you'd lose
the leveraging benefit.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)