Master and Servant on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:49:29 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

Okay, this is what gets me...

[in stores]
I have seen Winmodems for as cheap as $9 after rebate..

Regularly good non-winmodems go for about $100, if not a bit more (okay,
so someone is going to argue with me that you can get such and such a
white-boxed modem via pricewatch for say, 55 or so bux (+5-10$ shipping))

So, if you take that extra 40-90$ and pump it into a better MB and/or
processor, izn't that worth it for the difference?

Call me a cheap bastard. 8)  But that is my argument for Linmodems. 8)

Actually my other theorization is this:

Linux Box <----Network----> Windows Box (FILLED with Winmodems bought for
9$) hooked to an equivalent # of lines either shotgunning to your feed, or
say, how about a bunch of different netzero accounts? ;)