Michael Leone on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:43:57 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Trouble starting X remotely - VNC solution

>Can we benefit from your experience with a quick rundown on how you set it
>up? (Yes, we RTFM `: -} )

VNC is actually a perl script. I unpacked the file, and just ran it (it's
called vncserver). The first time you use it, it asks for a password word.

And that was it. :-)

It comes back and tells you a display number to use to connect to it (mine
was myhostname:1, I believe).

I used the Win32 client on Win95, which installs just like any other Win32
program (i.e., you just run the setup.exe). To view the X Server running on
your linux box, you choose the VNC Viewer program from the START. PROGRAMS
list. It asks for the display number (see above), and the password (again,
see above).

And that was it. You get a window on your Win95 desktop, showing you the X
server that runs on your linux box. (kind of like using pcAnywhere for
remote control in the Windows world). Then, start up any X app, and have
yourself a good old time. :-)

There are clients for other OSes (like a Unix client), as well as a Java
client.

Oh, and the Win32 version also comes with a server end, so that
(supposedly) you can view a Win32 desktop from a linux box, but I have no
need for that, so I didn't try it.

The web page is really clear and helpful - amazing considering that it's
from AT&T. :-)