ray beckler on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux/W95 LAN

John Nolan wrote:

> Check the cables.  The first thing you should do is make
> sure that the ethernet cables you are using actually work.
> Try to use them on a network which is already set up,
> and see if they work correctly there.  (Maybe you've already
> done this, I don't know.  :)
>
> It may seem dopey, but it's a troubleshooting step that
> should not be skipped.  You can tweak network setting on the
> machines until the cows come home, but it won't help you
> if one or both of the cables is broken.

I agree with John 100%.  It sounds like a hardware thing.  The subnet mask
is a valid class C and exactly like several small nets I've installed.  Check
everything from cables to NICs.  I've replaced alot of bad cables.   It's usually
something stupid.

(not to be confused with "It's usually something, stupid." )

:^)
ray