John Nolan on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:35:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux/W95 LAN

> I'm trying to set up an ethernet LAN in my house. I've got a W95 box hooked
> byto a hub which is hooked up to a Linux box. The Linux box is 192.168.1.1 &
> the W95 box is set to 192.168.1.2. I can't ping one w/ the other, but each
> can ping itself. When I ping the Linux box from the W95 box the light for
> the W95 box on the hub blinks. When I ping the W95 box from the Linux box it
> doesn't, but it does blink when I ping the broadcast address from the Linux
> box (192.168.1.255). Both boxes have subnets set to 255.255.255.0. I know
> I've probably missed something really obvious (to somebody who knows what
> they're doing), but I just can't think what it is. Do I need to enable

Check the cables.  The first thing you should do is make
sure that the ethernet cables you are using actually work.
Try to use them on a network which is already set up,
and see if they work correctly there.  (Maybe you've already
done this, I don't know.  :)

It may seem dopey, but it's a troubleshooting step that
should not be skipped.  You can tweak network setting on the
machines until the cows come home, but it won't help you
if one or both of the cables is broken.