Nick R on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Linux/W95 LAN

I'm trying to set up an ethernet LAN in my house. I've got a W95 box hooked byto a hub which is hooked up to a Linux box. The Linux box is 192.168.1.1 & the W95 box is set to 192.168.1.2. I can't ping one w/ the other, but each can ping itself. When I ping the Linux box from the W95 box the light for the W95 box on the hub blinks. When I ping the W95 box from the Linux box it doesn't, but it does blink when I ping the broadcast address from the Linux box (192.168.1.255). Both boxes have subnets set to 255.255.255.0. I know I've probably missed something really obvious (to somebody who knows what they're doing), but I just can't think what it is. Do I need to enable something on the W95 box? Maybe the Linux box (the ethernet interface is already enabled in case you're wondering)? Other than what I've mentioned, I haven't configured anything in either box that I'd think would make a differenct (I did configure the ppp interface & it is on on the Linux box though).