Kyle Burton on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:43:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Problems installing glib

Before you install packages like this (tar.gz archives) for software you
already have installed on your redhat system, you should first use rpm
to remove the software in question.

If you take the time, you can build your own rpm our of the tar.gz arvhive,
and then use rpm to 'upgrade' the existing package...or you can use someone
else's binary rpm to upgrade your system.

there are several reasons why it might not be working -- as you have suggested,
the tar.gz archive may have installed it into a differnt location than where
the rpm existed, or you may have to run ldconfig (which is usually done
in the rc scripts when you boot) to rebuild the shared lib database.

hope some of this helps...

"Think determanisticly, act randomly."
    -- Unknown