Jason S. on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:15:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] DSL

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Greg Weber wrote:

> Any opnions on DSL?  Looks like no cable modem in the near future and
> I already hate my cable provider, so I am  Considering getting DSL
> service.,  specifically, Voicenet.  Any experiences?
>
> Greg

Very negative. They told me they were offering service, then told
me a line was unavailable. This is after billing me close to $700
for the router and the first month. As it stands its "a couple weeks
away". When I tried to cancel the order they told me there would be
a cancelation fee of several hundred dollars. So far I've paid a LOT
of money, and recieved NO service. I'd recommend going with either
UUnet or concentric. Most DSL services are resold. Covad is the
company running the lines up by me. Beyond all this, I'd been a voicenet
customer in the past. Their support is.... lacking. Their news server
has always been small and expires articles too quickly.

As for why I went with them, it was pretty much because I didnt
understand how DSL worked. I didnt realize that if covad hadnt run the
lines then NOBODY was going to be able to do DSL. The difference is,
concentric notifed me that service was unavailable and canceled the
order. Voicenet told me service WAS available, then billed me, and
is now holding me hostage. At this point, if I do not have a working,
beautiful 380K line in 2 weeks (I signed up 6-24) then I'm either
getting a full refund or I'm contacting a lawyer. I'm extreemly
unhappy with the level of nonsense I'm putting up with from
"professionals".

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.