Charles Stack on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:03:08 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] DSL

>Very negative. They told me they were offering service, then told
>me a line was unavailable. This is after billing me close to $700
>for the router and the first month. As it stands its "a couple weeks
>away". When I tried to cancel the order they told me there would be
>a cancelation fee of several hundred dollars. So far I've paid a LOT
>of money, and recieved NO service.

Funny...that's what we're starting to experience.  After they pursued us for
a month and a half, we finally signed on after I was told that service in
our area was being turned up sooner than expected and to expect DSL service
in two weeks.  Can someone help remove the hook from my mouth?...it really
hurts and I feel like a fish being used as shark bait.

I called VN several times and left messages.  No return call.  Sent emails.
No reply.  I finally caught up with someone after a week of trying.  He
tells me the installation is right on schedule.  I asked him what schedule
was that.  According to our previous conversation, I was told I'd have SDSL
in two weeks.  I'm still waiting for a tech to call (we're on week two after
I was told the line would be in.  We've received an invoice but haven't been
charged yet so I don't think any money has been lost yet.  They tell me that
they have to run a Harris test and then someone will be in contact with me
this week to tell me whether they can offer the level of service I ordered.
The delay, I've been told, is a problem with Bell Atlantic's lines.  I'm no
expert here so.....

Perhaps they are simply backlogged and really do mean well.  I'll give them
the benefit of the doubt for at least a little while longer (they did
originally say 40 days).  But, I certainly would like to see them a bit more
forthcoming with information - perhaps a weekly email.  Nothing worse than
being kept out of the loop or being fed misinformation.

If they can't deliver as promised, people will take their business
elsewhere.  And, they may very well open themselves up to lawsuits (perhaps
class action).  My guess is they will avoid legal entanglements and deliver
as promised.  And, I still expect a high level of service once everything is
in place.  We'll see.

Charles