Greg Weber on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:27:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] DSL

Charles Stack wrote:

> >Very negative. They told me they were offering service, then told
> >me a line was unavailable. This is after billing me close to $700
> >for the router and the first month. As it stands its "a couple weeks
> >away". When I tried to cancel the order they told me there would be
> >a cancelation fee of several hundred dollars. So far I've paid a LOT
> >of money, and recieved NO service.
>
> Funny...that's what we're starting to experience.  After they pursued us for
> a month and a half, we finally signed on after I was told that service in
> our area was being turned up sooner than expected and to expect DSL service
> in two weeks.  Can someone help remove the hook from my mouth?...it really
> hurts and I feel like a fish being used as shark bait.
>
> I called VN several times and left messages.  No return call.  Sent emails.
> No reply.  I finally caught up with someone after a week of trying.  He
> tells me the installation is right on schedule.  I asked him what schedule
> was that.  According to our previous conversation, I was told I'd have SDSL
> in two weeks.  I'm still waiting for a tech to call (we're on week two after
> I was told the line would be in.  We've received an invoice but haven't been
> charged yet so I don't think any money has been lost yet.  They tell me that
> they have to run a Harris test and then someone will be in contact with me
> this week to tell me whether they can offer the level of service I ordered.
> The delay, I've been told, is a problem with Bell Atlantic's lines.  I'm no
> expert here so.....
>
> Perhaps they are simply backlogged and really do mean well.  I'll give them
> the benefit of the doubt for at least a little while longer (they did
> originally say 40 days).  But, I certainly would like to see them a bit more
> forthcoming with information - perhaps a weekly email.  Nothing worse than
> being kept out of the loop or being fed misinformation.
>
> If they can't deliver as promised, people will take their business
> elsewhere.  And, they may very well open themselves up to lawsuits (perhaps
> class action).  My guess is they will avoid legal entanglements and deliver
> as promised.  And, I still expect a high level of service once everything is
> in place.  We'll see.
>
> Charles

Along the lines of being reeled in, does anyone think it is strange that Bell
Atlantic says they do not have DSL available in my area, but Voicenet says no
problem?  I am in the Phoenixville area and apparently Covad will be running
the lines.  Presumptuously, the contract they faxed me to review is complete
with my desired installation date of ASAP.  To be fair , I have been a VoiceNet
customer for three years and have little to complain about.

Greg