Daniel W. Ottey on Tue, 24 Aug 1999 17:45:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Voicenet [Was: DSL]

I guess I'll add my 2 cents as well in saying that Voicenet isn't as bad
as ya'll are saying!  I lived in the LAncaster, PA area and had started
off on the Internet using Prolog, which then switched to PenTeleData.
Their services was pretty crappy.  I then moved to the Philly area when I
began my college life at Drexel.  During the weekends (and then during the
summer) I went back home.  During that, my freshman year, a friend of mine
from school started working at Voicenet in Ivyland, as a tech (not all
techs there know nothing, thanks).  Because he worked there (and would get
a commision) I decided to switch ISPs to Voicenet.  After that, I rarely
had a problem.  Yes, the occasional outaage...  But again, its to be
expected sometimes.  I still use it when I go home on the weekends.  When
I get in Friday night I dial up and I don't disconnect it until Sunday
when I leave to go back to school.  It never gets disconnected and the
service is very stable.

Its just my observation, but everyone who has been flaming Voicenet seems
to be complaining about something that happened 2, 3, even 4 years ago.
Maybe Voicenet sucked back then, maybe it didn't.  But for those of you
who aren't using it today, I think its very unfair to be bashing it.
Things change, and possibly ISPs LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES.  It seems to
me that they must have gotten their act together, because it doesn't suck
now-a-days.

So if you want to make your opinions known, try not to base it on "old
news" and go with whats current.  Thanks :-)

Daniel W. Ottey
Sophomore Computer Science Student
Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA
http://www.snarfykat.org/