Judith E. Bush on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:12:54 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Individual FTP Accounts

In our previous exchange, Charles Stack wrote:
::
:: Anyone know how to setup a Linux box to allow multiple FTP accounts without
:: giving them login or mail accounts on the machine?
::
:: I want to set up accounts for our customers where they can get the latest
:: software applicable to them and no one else.
::
:: My alternative would be to write a PHP script that would generate the HTML
:: on a per client basis (I'll probably do this anyway).  But, an FTP solution
:: is needed first (if it can be done).

I've always done accounts by hand (never had to deal with more than ten
new users at a time). If you set the login shell to /dev/null they can't
log in. I've never really messed with the email settings, but you could
certainly set up an alias that bounces any messages sent to that userid.

ThiGood luck,

judith

--
Judith E. Bush                                   judith@grey-cat.com
P O Box 7559                                       AOL IM judielaine