Joshua Mazess on Thu, 26 Aug 1999 01:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] How to create a ppp chat script??

Dan,
    Dial-in into a Shiva LANRover Access Server (LRAS) with a SecurID is
a bit tricky if you don't know all of the required parameters.
Fortunately, I've figured out all of the necessary settings. Chat is not
interactive and is therefore next to impossible to use with a SecurID
system. I have written an expect script specifically for BMS that dials
the modem, interactively prompts you for your userid and passcode, and
activates pppd. You also have to set up a guest userid in your
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets file* to authenticate with the Shiva box. The
expect script is not complete, though, as it currently doesn't handle
prompts other than userid and passcode, so it won't work if you're in
new PIN mode or if your SecurID gets out of synch. I plan to add in
support for those situations when I have some time.
    The Remote Computing Team is considering providing limited support
for Unix dial-in. I will probably be responsible for answering Linux
questions. You should give me a call so I can tell you more about the
script and give you a test copy. It requires the utility expect to be
installed on your system. (In RedHat, the pathname is /usr/bin/expect.
Some systems put it in /usr/local/bin.) Seeya! --Josh (x4517)

* This is wherever pppd stores its options files. RedHat puts them in
/etc/ppp.

If anyone else wants to see this script, let me know and I'll post it
here.

--
Josh Mazess <mazessj 'at' mail.com>