Bill Jonas on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:10 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux compatible ISPs

Finally!  Something I can help with!  :)

I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Bill, and I'm new to this mailing
list and to the world of Linux.  Okay, so I *am* a Linux newbie, but this is
an issue near and dear to my heart, as I'm locked in for 3 years with M$N.
(It finally enabled me to get a PC of my own.)

I was looking for the same thing myself, since as I said earlier, I'm
installing Linux on my PC, and I've got a 3 year contract with M$N.  ($400
works wonders with an emachines unit.)  Anyway, try out this URL:
http://www.mrgone.com/msn-linux/msn.html .  I found it while on a message
board on (of all places) MSN.  They've set one up for Linux.  What their
motivation is, I don't know.  (Probably wanting to keep tabs on the
competition.)  Anyway, the basic gist of this is that you actually dial in
to MSN using UUNET, so there are no proprietary MS protocols to deal with.
There are a links to a very informative HOWTO that tells you exactly what
you need to put on your /usr/sbin/ppp-on (or wherever it is in your
directory structure) file.

By the way, if anybody can help me out with this...

I'm in the process of getting a Linux installation up on my machine.  I'm
using ZipSlack (the one designed to fit on a Zip disk) from Slackware
(compiled from their latest distribution, I think) on my primary (only,
actually) DOS partition using the UMSDOS file system.  My modem is on COM4
under DOS/Win, and I'm having trouble getting my modem up under Linux.  The
ppp-on script on the aforementioned page didn't work, and so I tried:  "echo
atdt6102340527 > /dev/modem", "echo atdt6102340527 > /dev/ttyS3", "echo
atdt6102340527 > /dev/ttyS2", etc., on down to /dev/ttyS0.  I had no
response from any of them.  I'm running an emachines etower 333cs, but I
haven't tracked down exactly what the modem is yet.  I think I might have
one of those damn Winmodems, but I'm not sure yet.  Anybody have any ideas?
(ie, Might the SCSI support precompiled in the kernel be interfering with
access?  Shouldn't be...)  Any suggestions?  (Other than give Linux its own
partition, I only have 2 gigs and can't afford more right now. :)  ).

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Bill