Alexander John Batyi on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:09:03 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] help! /var/log/wtmp keeps growing!

> delete the old one. Or have a look at the getutent man page.
> > I know I can rotate it, but is there a way to lop off the top gazillion
> > entries?

I do the following:

who -u /var/log/wtmp > /var/log/wtmp.ascii
>/var/log/wtmp

You can do a

         who /var/log/wtmp | head -gazillion

to get part of the output.  You can rotate the ascii version, etc.
Anyway, the who command is the way to get readable data
without resorting to C.  The command who with no filename reads utmp
and wtmp accumulates utmp data for processes no longer running.