Alexander John Batyi on Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:57:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] DHCP

> Over the weekend I was able to get DHCP up and running on my RH6 box.  It
> was a short and sweet setup, but I couldn't figure out how to initialize the
> daemons and changes I made without rebooting my box.  The documentation I
> used stated that doing 'ps -ax | grep dhcpd' would kill the daemon and
> 'dhcpd' would start it up again.  I changed my range of IP address and tried
> this quite a few times before I ended up reboting.  Could someone tell me
> what I did wrong?

I didn't see the documentation but I suspect it said something like:

kill -1 `ps -ax | grep dhcpd | grep -v grep | cut -c1-5`

First of all your ' should be `; second there is no kill
and finally you can't be sure (without grep -v grep)
that you won't just kill the grep.

Also doesn't dhcpd save a PID in /var/run/dhcpd.pid?  I don't know
because I don't use it.