Nick R on Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Plug website: the '70s are back...

I've always preferred dark and black backgrounds. White ones are uncomfortable to read. They hurt my eyes. They're so bright. Of course I also prefer most things black/dark & I'm not particularly fond of daylight. Besides, black just looks cooler anyway.

What pisses me off is those people who choose really poor color combinations for their sites, such as black and green background w/ green text. I was always very careful to choose a legible color scheme during the web site making phase of my existence.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
60. My five-year-old child advisor will also be asked to decipher any code I
am thinking of using. If he breaks the code in under 30 seconds, it will not
be used. Note: this also applies to passwords.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: elek <elek@sonn.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] Plug website: the '70s are back...
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 tburba@glcorpis01.usvision.com wrote:

> I know the '70s are back and consequently so will be the black velvet
> paintings, but does a black background on a web page contribute anything to
> its readability or utility? (Yes, we can override it globally in our
> browsers).
> `:-(

I thought the 70's already came back and left again... :)

I happen to like black velvet paintings - but I never associated those or
black background web sites with the 70's.

Black backgrounds don't ALWAYS look nice...but neither do white
backgrounds with faded type graphics.  I feel it depends on the site and
the graphics.  If black backgrounds are appropriate and you can pull it
off...more power to you ;)

-elek