Jason S. on Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:50:33 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] a question of terminology..

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, secher wrote:

> Ok, if we can't get htis straight, we can't ask the media to do
> otherwise.
> Hacking == working at programming, with the implication that there is a
> problem to be solved.
> Cracking == working at breaking into a supposedly secure system or
> software, with or without the use of programming tools.
>
> Ok?  I'm neither one, not qualified to be, but I have been around long
> enough to know the difference.

This argument irritates me to no end. Its right up there with the
war on drugs. Its over. We lost. Get over it and move on. :)

It pretty much depends on syntax.

Hacking == What you do to make hiding the body easier.

Cracking == What the tricks do down on tioga on friday nights.

Its silly, I think anyone who cares enough to make the distinction,
can tell by the syntax. Everyone else.... well... everytime I'd tried
to explain it to them, they'd look at me, blink, and say something
like "Uhh... yeah, but where can I get porn on the internet? I hear
there's a lot of naked people... "

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.