Morgan Wajda-Levie on Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:22:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] a question of terminology..

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 10:50:11AM -0400, Jason S. wrote:
> This argument irritates me to no end. Its right up there with the
> war on drugs. Its over. We lost. Get over it and move on. :)
>
> It pretty much depends on syntax.
>
> Hacking == What you do to make hiding the body easier.
>
> Cracking == What the tricks do down on tioga on friday nights.
>
> Its silly, I think anyone who cares enough to make the distinction,
> can tell by the syntax. Everyone else.... well... everytime I'd tried
> to explain it to them, they'd look at me, blink, and say something
> like "Uhh... yeah, but where can I get porn on the internet? I hear
> there's a lot of naked people... "

Maybe we lost with the media and non-computer people, but internally
you should still use the proper terminology.  Hacker is a much nicer
term than "expert" or "guru", and there's no associated verb with
those.  To say "I was up all night hacking on my device driver" is
much more respectable than "I was up all night working on my device
driver".

Also, IMHO, hacking is not just programming.  You can also hack config
files, such as sendmail config files.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
http://www.worldaxes.com/wajdalev