umweber on Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:41:40 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Suburban@home

This is for the person who asked about Suburban@home cable service.
I have had it since july, with absolutely no problems, it's fast and
reliable. (Although of course I did have to put a windows box in the room
I wanted it to be for them to install it). But there is one huge problem,
Ports 137, 138, 139, and 1080 are blocked, so if you wanna set up a home
network with Windows involved, or use samba, I think it may be a problem.
I tried using scour media agent (http://www.scour.net) to get some files
through, this client uses perl and samba to do so, and was unable to
because of port 139 being blocked. (It downloads files of of Windows
shares).. Which is how I found out about this little "issue"
I get they want to discourage you from setting up a network, and would
rather you buy additional IPs at $9.95/mo

--
Michelle Weber
umweber@mcs.drexel.edu