Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:05:29 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Is there a GOOD browser out there?

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Eric Windisch wrote:

> You mean netscape's support for the STANDARD? Yes, Ie's might be easier
> and maybe have some more features but none of them are standard and
> never
> will be and hopefully and likely will be dropped from the source-tree.

Please.  Don't even go that route.  Both Netscape and Microsoft have
played the "insert your extension and hope it gets accepted" game.  Yes,
Netscape supports a standard, an old one.  Its CSS support is pitiful, and
don't try any DHTML unless it's wrapped up in a <LAYER> (which isn't in
the current proposed standard), and don't try it if it'll entail
re-rendering the page.

> God forbid that anyone complies to standards like Netscape does.
> Does the person that makes/breaks standards the good guy? Netscape
> will propose a feature to the W3 and if it is not accepted it is not
> implimented. Microsoft impliments something then notifies the W3, _that_
> is
> bad practice.

Yes, but it does seem that W3C is going with alot of what MS proposed.
This doesn't vidicate MS, but it does point to the direction that browser
clients are going.  Or should standards be ignore/rejected just because MS
proposed them?

> Although, this isn't always true. Netscape wanted <layer> and went with
> it,
> Microsoft wanted iframe and went with it; however, they both support
> the standard <div> which isn't as feature full as the others but is
> on average more commonly used for one reason: STANDARD. The question is
> who dropped their own "make believe standard" for their next release?
> Netscape. Netscape cares about standards, and they care about you.

DHTML isn't just about tags.  It's about the Document Object Model.  I'm
not even talking about iframes.  If Netscape really cared, they'd get off
their asses and try to compete, and not make a mockery of Open Source by
trying to use it as a magic bullet to resurrect their browser which has
fallen behind.

> Microsoft just wants your money.

So do most sucessful businesses.

> Stability we got (lynx), Modern we have (Netscape with the exception of
> using Motif).. we just need them both in the same app, that is what
> Mozilla
> promises. Lets just hope that Mozilla delivers, soon :)

Yup, Lynx is great for stability.   Unfortunately, it's limited by its
text nature.  No, Netscape isn't modern.  It's lagging behind.

Let me make my point more concrete.  If your company needs to develope a
rather complex web application requiring some significant client-side
functionality (i.e. needs to use a fair amount of DHTML), how well do you
think a Linux desktop with Netscape Navigator 4.05 is going to compare
against a Windows desktop with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0?

Standards are fine.  But don't put on "current standard" blinders and not
look to the evolution of those standards; that's how you get left behind.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)