Andrew P. Ban on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 02:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] running X on a laptop

Wayne,

	I looks to me as you do not have the answer yet so here is what I did with
RedHat 6.0 out of the box.  I ended up ignoring the all choices of LCD.  I
used the settings for the video out jack on the back.  Works fine.  I went
through all the hassle with the errata and XFCom_neomagic X Server with 5.2
and could not get it to work.  If recall correctly I ended up using SVGA
interlaced choice with RH 6.0 some thing I tried in desperation.  The
NEOMagic drivers are included in the RH 6.0 distro and I believe also in the
3.3.x series of XFREE86.  Try running the RH setup again and just ignore the
LCD video options. Try the others you may be surprised as to the answer.

	I hope that is useful to you in your quest for a Linux laptop. It worked
for me but your mileage may vary.  As for the newbie alert notice I'm sure
that there are more experienced people that would have a hard time
configuring this.  I am no expert but it did take me hours to get it running
and more than a few phone calls to digital to find the answers then found
the solution by accident.

Good luck

Andrew