Tom Joyce on Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] file permissions

If I change the file permissions on a directory from 755 to 711 would users still be able to execute a file even though they can not read it? The main idea is to allow people to FTP or telnet in but I would like to prevent them from viewing certain files , like the httpd.conf file or the sendmail.cf files in the /etc directory.

If this doesn't work , how can I prevent people from exploring certain files on the system?