Jason Costomiris on Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:53:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] certification

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 05:12:14PM -0400, Xtian Betz wrote:
:
: What is the cheapest way that I can pass the exam(s) and how do the tests
: work?

Find a friend that's got access to Netware install media.  Have an
installfest at your house.  Work on the box.

: What does it take to get certified?

One relatively simple test.  When I took it (I'm a Netware 3.12 CNA)
it was an adaptive test, between 15 and 25 questions.  IIRC, I had like 17
or questions, and it took less than 10 minutes to do the test.  The trick
is to answer the first few questions correctly.  It hits you with the
hardest questions first, and then backs off, depending on your answers.
The test ends as soon as you've amassed enough points to pass.  Score means
absolutely nothing.

: I have heard different things
: about the difficulty of the test. There is no way I can afford a thousand
: dollar course but I am willing to spend 200-300 dollars on materials(books,
: tapes, whatever).

4 of us chipped in $15 each and bought a book.  We passed it around for a
half a day then went and took the test.

: I really just want to know who has done this (gotten a
: CNA just by reading books).

4 of us, half a day with a book, about 30 minutes asking eachother questions
about the test prep material.  10 minutes to drive to the test center,
less than 10 to take the test.  Probably a total investment of about 2.5
hours of my life.  Of course, I had experience.  It was learn-as-you-go
where I worked at the time.  We had 53 Netware 3.11 servers.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.