Tracy Nelson on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:04:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] certification

root wrote:

> Hey Michael et. al.,
> I too have taken M$ certifications, and IMNSHO, they are niether as simplistic
> as Nick's description, nor are they even vaguely comprehensive as you seem to
> stipulate.
> I don't want to drag this thread into a long debate on the validity of m$
> certs., but I will reiterate.  Certifications *should* be to determine the best
> of the best, not what they are now.

Hmmm, not sure I agree with this.  Certification should prove that the
person posessing the certificate knows the subject covered under the
certification.  It's not a watershed, separating the top N percent.

Personally, I'd like to see gradients within certificates.  I.e., a "red
level" certificate means that the holder scored in the top 2 percent,
with a "blue level" indicating that the person had scored in the top
five percent, etc.  Kind of like a GPA.

Q: What do they call someone who graduates at the bottom of their class
in med school?
A: Doctor.

Just junk food for thought...