Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] certification

No, MS tests (or most certification tests, for that matter) aren't as
comprehensive as they could be.  You are mistaken, IMNSHO, about the
purpose of certification.  The purpose is NOT to confer an elite status,
but to indicate a level of competancy.  If you think a certification is
anything more than that, you deserve what you get.  And no, this doesn't
just mean MS certs, but all certifications.  Tell me, does a certificate
to teach in the state of Pennsylvania imply an elite level of expertise?
Nope, nor should it.  That isn't the purpose of certification.

Anyone who hires a person based solely on the possession of a piece of
paper deserves what befalls them.

Incidentally, I feel that I have a bit of a clue on these things as
  a) I have a degree in education
  b) have been a certified teacher in Pennsylvania.
  c) work directly in the part of the IT industry dealing with
     certifications (we train, write courseware, and write certification
     questions).
  d) I am a Microsoft Certified Trainer.

Can we stop the "let's make up another excuse to bash Microsoft" game?  I
find it insulting on a professional level and also find it not very
conducive to Linux's future.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)