David Edwards on Sun, 3 Oct 1999 04:14:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PLUG Meeting Subject-Suggestion!!

Open/Closed mailing lists - they both have advantages and they both have
disadvantages.
Most of the mailing lists I've been involved in (and thats in the 10's -
not the hundreds) have been restricted to subscribers - purpose being that
they did not want to become "newsgroups" with poor signal/noise ratios.
(and a large number of those mailing lists were Linux related).
If PLUG wants an open mailing list, no problem!! - but for those of us that
get their mail from home via a 33.6-56k connection instead of from work via
a T1, it gets frustrating at times to deal with problems like this.
So for those of you in the driving seat and making decisions - don't get so
defensive!!
Maybe we need to revisit the discussion we had a few months ago about
turning the PLUG mailing list into a newsgroup (for real!) - then EVERYONE
can not only post but also get the messages without having to subscribe.
Just another tuppence worth!!
Dave E.
dedwards@technologist.com
----------
> From: Engineer(2) <Engineer2@casbensalem.com>
> To: 'plug@lists.nothinbut.net'
> Subject: RE: [Plug] PLUG Meeting Subject-Suggestion!!
> Date: Friday, October 01, 1999 11:49 AM
>
> It appears to me that the subscribed members of this group are as well
> qualified as outsiders to clog this mailing with irrelevant discourse
(see
> below).
>
> PLUG is one of the better known Linux groups in the country. I hear about
it
> from people on both coasts. At the meetings everyone seems to be excited
by
> the group's growth. If we are going to embrace this concept, then it
would
> seem to me that barring outside contact to this group would be
> counter-productive.
>
> Hopefully I'll see you all on the 6th.
> -Eric
<SNIP>