Charles Stack on Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:39:14 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Question on ADSL

We finally got our SDSL line last week as well (Pottstown).
Unfortunately, they could only provide 768 kbps rather than 1.1 mbps.
>From what I gather, it's either bad copper or something else is on the
line.  In any event, we're 300 feet too far to get the 1.1 Mbs service.
Damn.

The only issue I have with VoiceNet at the moment is that they have not
yet provided me with all of the details regarding my account (like my ID
and password).  But, we're hitting their DNS servers and the system rocks.
Due to conflicts on our network, I had VoiceNet turn of NAT and instead
use a Linux box to do it for me.

Here's something that's been pissing me off...I now have to go out onto
the internet to get my mail from a server on our network.  Really
irritating. For some reason, the NT box won't let me retrieve my e-mail
using it's IP address.  And, it seems that one crucial packet is omitted
on large attachment sends...the final <CR>.<CR> packet.  This seems to
happen only where there is a lot of traffic on our internet.  It might
have something to do with the fact that I was using the same NIC and using
a virtual IP address on the card.  Tomorrow, that won't be an issue any
longer as it will be connected directly to the DSL router on one NIC and
the other onto our private network.  Does this problem I've been
experiencing make any sense?

Charles