Sean R. Cummins on Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:17:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall

> Recently I've been spedning some time trying to work around my schools
> telnet restrictions so I can use my computer.  There is a firewall in
> place which seems to make some telnet connects impossible, while
> others work.  I can telnet to my ISP, which runs NT, but my computer
> and CCIL both report that the connection was dropped.  I thought this
> may have something to do with firewalls and the way the server
> interacted with the client, but I don't know.

Well, a lot of this depends on exactly what kind of firewall you're
dealing with here.  If its a packet filtering or stateful inspection
firewall (ie, a firewall that actually routes data at the network layer
rather than proxying it at the application layer), you can just tell
in.telnetd to run on port 80, like this:

# /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -debug 80 &

Then just telnet to port 80 of your machine.  To do this in UNIX/Linux,
you would just use:

$ telnet host 80

In Windows, you'd need to run the telnet application specify the port in
the connect to window or whatever.

This won't work if your school happens to be using a proxy firewall, like
MS Proxy server or something like that.

- Sean

--
Sean R. Cummins