Nick R on Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall

Well a java applet would do something like that. The problem I see with httptunnel is that you have to be able to install and run software on the client computer. With a java applet a bidirectional data channel could be created that would require only the ability to run applets.

At the high school I go to, they've locked telnet out. That's why I want to get around it. They'll never find out and I don't think I'm technically breaking any rules if I do it w/ a java applet or something.

I don't see how a java applet would help.
you are still coming from behind the firewall...
I think you need something like this
http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/02/19/919455167.html
httptunnel

  httptunnel creates a bidirectional data channel through an
HTTP         proxy, from your isolated computer behind a restrictive
firewall, to    a system on the Internet you have access to.

of course, you use something like this at your own risk.  Did you just
ask what the policy on telnet at your org is?

Adam

Mental wrote:

> Hi Nick. Have you tried this:
> http://www.mud.de/se/jta/
>
> Its... done.
>
> Mental
> --
> When I cried out loud
> tearful but still proud
> mesmerized and crippled by despair
>
> --Intravenous
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Nick R wrote:
>
> > no dice. m$ proxy over here. I'm making some progress w/ the cgi script
> > though. I just need to figure out how to login w/o typing in the password.
> > Like
> > su laktar <pass
> > but w/o having to put my password in a file called pass
> >

> > >From: "Sean R. Cummins" <beaner@Op.Net>
> > >To: Plug <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
> > >Subject: Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall
> > >Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

> > >Well, a lot of this depends on exactly what kind of firewall you're
> > >dealing with here. If its a packet filtering or stateful inspection
> > >firewall (ie, a firewall that actually routes data at the network layer
> > >rather than proxying it at the application layer), you can just tell
> > >in.telnetd to run on port 80, like this:
> > >
> > ># /usr/sbin/in.telnetd -debug 80 &
> > >
> > >Then just telnet to port 80 of your machine. To do this in UNIX/Linux,
> > >you would just use:
> > >
> > >$ telnet host 80
> > >
> > >In Windows, you'd need to run the telnet application specify the port in
> > >the connect to window or whatever.
> > >
> > >This won't work if your school happens to be using a proxy firewall, like
> > >MS Proxy server or something like that.
> > >
> > >- Sean
> > >
> > >--
> > >Sean R. Cummins