Nick R on Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:53:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall

Hmm, interesting. Can you tell me a bit of the background of the nature of your account? I'd only be able to login using a massive group account, so I don't know that that would allow you to telnet in. Did you have a shell account on the server or something?

From: Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

I seem to remember being able to telnet thorugh an MS proxy -- to do so,
I had to telnet to the proxy machine, login in using some combination of
a user/pass command, and then, once I was authenticated to the MS proxy,
I was able to enter a host address to telnet to and it made the connection
on my behalf.

Same type of thing worked for ftp, though the auth/connection process was
wacked in comparision -- had to do something like:

ftp proxy_user@external.host.com

Then type in my password to the proxy...I dont' remember, but it only took
a little hackign around to figure out the proxy's syntax for doing this.

The streets will flow with the blood of the non-beleivers!
-- Beavis
mortis@voicenet.com http://www.voicenet.com/~mortis