Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:53:18 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Red Hat is Coming!

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Mental wrote:

> Why not just check the body of each message and save the CRC value into
> a database. That way when you get a new message, the list just looks
> up the CRC in the "already recieved" table and sees if it exists. Then,
> if it does it discards the mail. If it doesnt, it'll add the entry to
> the database. Setting it up in mysql wouldnt be too hard. Just make sure
> you do backups on a regular basis......

Ugh.  The only downside I see is that for each message you'd need to start
up a database connection, or you'd have to have a separate process to
handle the database connection and would entail making some type of RPC
call which isn't much better.

> So... who wants to throw some code together real quick? I'd do it right
> now but I'm busy scanning pix of my grrly, and she's way more funner
> to look at than perl.

Why on earth would you want to pollute Mailman with Perl??  Mailman is
written in the much more fun Python (although I wouldn't dare to say that
Python is funner to look at than your "grrly").

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)