Mental on Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:05:28 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Red Hat is Coming!

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Mental wrote:
>
> > Why not just check the body of each message and save the CRC value into
> > a database. That way when you get a new message, the list just looks
> > up the CRC in the "already recieved" table and sees if it exists. Then,
> > if it does it discards the mail. If it doesnt, it'll add the entry to
> > the database. Setting it up in mysql wouldnt be too hard. Just make sure
> > you do backups on a regular basis......
>
> Ugh.  The only downside I see is that for each message you'd need to start
> up a database connection, or you'd have to have a separate process to
> handle the database connection and would entail making some type of RPC
> call which isn't much better.

Use a named pipe (assuming everything is on one box). Besides, that
was sarcasm. This was supposed to have been sarcasm. We've spent like
50zillion emails talking about ONE duplicate message.....

> > So... who wants to throw some code together real quick? I'd do it right
> > now but I'm busy scanning pix of my grrly, and she's way more funner
> > to look at than perl.
>
> Why on earth would you want to pollute Mailman with Perl??  Mailman is
> written in the much more fun Python (although I wouldn't dare to say that
> Python is funner to look at than your "grrly").

I dunno, I dig perl. Its fun. I dont know nearly enough about python to
make a comparison. I've glanced at it. It looks neato. Its on my list
of stuff to learn, but right now its not in the "priority queue".

Ok, you decide. Python/perl/mailstuffs, OR
http://www.neverlight.com/duanne ?

Hm, wonder if I can convince her to be the spokesmodel for neverlight...

See... THIS is why I've been so uncharacteristicly happy. Altho,
having a social life makes you REALLY non-productive.