Michael Leone on Fri, 5 Nov 1999 18:11:15 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] That idiotic cylinder 1024 problem

> Hm, well I just got a 20.4 gig drive, it's still sitting in the box.
> Ideally I'd like to have linux, NT Server, and win98 all on the drive.
> Is this possible?

Yes. I do, with PM 4.

>Or do you think I'd need to use some commercial boot
> manager? Also, I'll have a 1.6 gig drive in the box as a
> slave drive if
> that would helpful in trying to set this up.

Not necessary, but what the hell - you can never have too much HD space. :-)

>And I already own Partition Magic 4.0.

If you have Partition Magic already, use it. I find it a whole lot easier
than LILO.

Be aware that PM 4 does NOT run on NT Server (well, it does if you boot to
DOS). The GUI only works in Win9x.

I'd start by making 2 1G partitions at the front of the drive, formatted as
FAT. On the first, I'd install the bootable part of NT. Put the rest of NT
on a separate partition. Do the same with Win9x (i.e., put it on the 2nd
1G). You can format another partition as data area for it, too, if you want.

As for Linux, put it wherever you want. Just don't put LILO in the MBR; put
it in the root superblock. that way, PM will manage it for you.