John A. Simkiss III on Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:33:06 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] Your help needed

Ye Olde Laptop has served pretty well, but is showing signs of aging.  The
microphone stopped working.  The LCD flickers at odd times and in an odd
manner.  I am in dire need of a larger HD.  A faster processor would be
nice.  You get the picture.

So.....given that I (am required to) run NT for work, but have partitions
for Linux and BeOS for fun.....I am in need of your suggestions for a
replacement laptop.

Money is no object (since my employer is buying)     ;-)

The key is hardware compatibility.  The NeoMagic video wasn't supported when
I got this laptop, but now is.  The ESS 1888 audio took a while to figure
out, but is SB Pro compatible and works when the IRQ, DMA, and I/O settings
are nailed down.  So I hate to give the old girl up, but....progress.

Has anyone purchase a NEW laptop recently which was 100% hardware compatible
with Linux ?  Feel free to reply on or off the list.

jas3