Xtian Betz on Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:53:04 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] IR in linux

Do they have Infra-red transceivers (really only need a transmitter) that
plug into the serial port?

Is their kernel support for such devices?

I know very little about IR devices, but could one program an IR
transmitter to function exactly like a universal remote?

Well those series of questions should lead up to what I'd like to do. Let's
say I have a home entertainment center with a tv, vcr, cd player, stereo
receiver, etc. Each one has a different remote. Could I somehow monitor and
replicate the signals from each remote and create one universal control
interface? This way I could schedule tasks that would turn on and off each
part of the entertainment system, alter the volume or channel or track,
perhaps even make recordings at certain times -- all from my computer. Has
this been done before? It seems like I read about it somewhere but I'm not
sure.

So is this a stupid idea or is it actually feasible?

~xtian