Pham Long Trung Duy on Mon, 15 Nov 1999 00:18:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] IR in linux

Actisys makes IrDa dongle that plugs to Serialport, and allows
communication with other IrDA device from 2400baud upto  115kbaud.
If you just want to send raw data from one computer to another, you
don't need any special "driver" for Ir, serial driver will do.  However
full IrDA compliance  ( auto-detect other peer Irda device, negotiation,
file transfer..etc) calls for full implementation of the entire protocol
stack, which may not readily available on Linux.  Actisys website does
have some info on Linux development for IrDa though.

Your idea is an interesting one.  But I'm doublful about it, as the two
protocols are so much different and are not meant to inter-operatable.
However, a microprocessor to bridge between serial port and ir remote
control may be already available, and surely will take a lot of load
from you cpu!

duy.