Michael Leone on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:03:26 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] XFree locks up local console

> Now as the common belief goes (or at least what I was
> taught), screensavers
> were invented in order to save your screen from screen burn.

Exactly right.

> And yet, this
> is completely illogical, as while you're working you have the
> same images on  the screen for possibly hours at a time and that causes no
> visible damage even over a relatively long period of time.

Nowadays, no. Well, on non-monochrome screens anyway.
(You can still see screen burn-in on some monochrome ATM machines - the
older ones, anyway)

>Now my question is this:
> Originally were screens built so that they got burned far
> more easily (& why did they/why don't newer ones),

Better materials/manufacturing processes/better refresh rates. VGA and above
is not really subject to screen burn-in. Older CGA/MGA *are* subject to it.

So, no, no technical reasons, nowadays.

>and if not, then was the sole  purpose of the
> screensaver eye candy to get people to buy Windows?

No. It was to make the screens "cooler" looking for the non-techie types.