Nicolai Rosen on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:39:48 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] XFree locks up local console

Now as the common belief goes (or at least what I was taught), screensavers were invented in order to save your screen from screen burn. And yet, this is completely illogical, as while you're working you have the same images on the screen for possibly hours at a time and that causes no visible damage even over a relatively long period of time. Now my question is this:
Originally were screens built so that they got burned far more easily (& why did they/why don't newer ones), and if not, then was the sole purpose of the screensaver eye candy to get people to buy Windows?

I agree. My opinion is that a screensaver is a waste of good CPU cycles.
Personally, I just turn the monitor off when I'm not using the computer (and
let the computer run most of the time). Of course, it's my own *personal*
personal computer, with me being one of only two people that (theoretically)
have physical access to it. Of course, in a different setting, this might
be unacceptable without some other security measures.

Bill