Charles Stack on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:39:23 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] XFree locks up local console

It goes two steps further.  Seems that today's monitors running SVGA or
better (I think that's what my boss told me) are impervious to burn in
(something to do with how the beam scans).  He mentioned this because he
encountered a client who was running a screen saver under NT Server.  The
individual in question couldn't figure out why they were having 100% CPU
utilization.  My boss chuckled because, after being told that the screen
saver was not needed and it was the cause of the 100% CPU utilization, they
guy insisted on running the screen saver. To this day, the guys database
server becomes useless whenever the screen saver kicks in.

Additionally, most of todays monitors are Energy Star compliant and put
themselves into a low-power sleep mode after a certain time period of
inactivity.

The only reason you need a screen saver is to prevent unauthorized access
while you are away.  Simply logging out and turning off the monitor solves
that problem just as well.