Greg Lopp on Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:05:39 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Equation Editor for Linux

Nicolai Rosen wrote:

> Anybody know of an equation editor for Linux? If you don't know what this
> is, it's something capable of producing math equations as you would write
> them. You're able to insert special symbols such as the integral symbol, and
> you have the capability of doing special placement and formatting, such as
> showing division vertically w/o using seperate lines. You can see the M$
> Word version by going to insert, object, microsoft equation x.x. It's an
> incredible capability and I'd love to find one for Linux so that I would be
> independent of M$ for one more application.

A fan of the MS equation editor would probably like the one in StarOffice too.
You get to it the same way : Insert > Object > Function.  The interface is
rather similar too, a floating toolbar of std operators.  It also provides a
text translation of the equation you are creating, so you can write out what you
want w/o having to hunt through the menus of operators (a problem I often had w/
MS)

I've never needed to use LaTeX, can anybody comment upon the similarities
between (or lack of) the LaTeX equation raw text and the syntaxt used in
StarMath?