Mental on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:35:44 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] hardware problems.

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 09:51:56PM +0000, Nicolai Rosen wrote:
> No more Linux fdisk for RH install? Can it be? ack! If I wanted to use a
> stupified system, I would've kept Win95! I guess it's FreeBSD for me.

First of all, this whole "I'm so hardcore" thing is dumb. Sorry,
but it is. If you dont like a distro, pick annother one. Its
not like you dont have choices. Condemning a distro based on
a matter of personal opinion is silly. Try debian, or slack.
Further, jumping on the bandwagon just isnt becoming. FYI, the
'older' text mode installation program is still there. Type
'text' at the boot prompt.

<wack observations>
If you didnt want a stupified system you wouldnt be using package
management at all. You wouldnt even need make.

If you didnt want stupified you'd be compiling everything yourself.

If you didnt want stupified you would have written your own
inittab and init scripts.

If you didnt want stupified you'd be running Plan 9.

Actually, if you didnt want stupified you'd be using punch cards.

Just snag a couple of mangets and manually manipulate the inodes
on the disk.

Blah. Stupified is fine, as long as it works. Its wonderful, just so
long as I can peek under the hood if I _choose_ to.

I dont like having to learn needless details and mundane crap any
more than I like being denied the ability to do so.

I want stupified nonsense when I'm feeling lazy. I want source to
it. I wanna see how they did it when I get time to look. Its
what keeps the momentum going. I dig it.

I also dig the new kernel. I got bored last night. Here's the
contents of /proc/version on my laptop:
Linux version 2.3.32 (mental@nomad) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991109
(Debian GNU/Linux)) #3 Tue Dec 14 16:02:39 CET 1999

But of course, I used the stupified 'make xconfig' method of setting
it up. I figured I'd rather be done than spend all night with vi and
.config.
</wack observations>

Mental
--