Michael Finn on Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:59:07 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Philadelphia Area Computer Society

> From: Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com>
> I do not know if anyone took over the UNIX SIG leadership when I left
> PACS.  I have not heard of any activity from PACS about Unix or Linux
> since I left.  My best guess is that it died or atrophied.

The UNIX SIG at PACS is now headed by Allan Walters. It meets at noon on
PACS meeting days at UMMS room S07.

> From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
> PACS has been around for a very long time, but is slowly dying.  Does
their
> web page mention if the UNIX SIG is actually still holding meetings, or
do
> you still need to subscribe to their newsletter to receive a schedule?

The Data Bus paper edition is being discontinued in favor of an on-line
version. The December 1999 Data Bus is now posted at
http://www.pacsnet.org/articles.shtml

PACS will send a 1 page meeting notice to its members with the meeting
schedule and very brief news.

Neither the old paper Data Bus, the new monthly meeting notice, or the
schedule on the web page http://www.pacsnet.org/sig_schedule.html tell you
much about whether a SIG is really doing anything. Unless the SIG Leader is
publishing something in the Data Bus, you really can't tell much about the
SIG. Chris Fearnley did an excellent job with his Data Bus articles. Other
SIG leaders don't bother to promote their SIGs.